Sunday, July 10, 2011

Coffee Shop Review: Sidewinder

Coffee Shop: Sidewinder
Location: Hamilton Avenue, Northside, Cincinnati, Ohio
Website: www.sidewindercoffee.com

As I have expressed before,  I'm very passionate about coffee, tea, and espresso. I've loved all of it since I was roughly 7 years old when I asked my dad if I could try his coffee. Long story short: he obliged and the rest is history.

I'm not one of those stereotypical "Don't talk to me until I've had my morning coffee" people, but I do drink it just about every day. Thinking of it, I rarely ever actually have coffee early in the morning. I feel too rushed. Being a woman makes mornings hard/rushed enough with hair, makeup, etc. I don't need coffee to wake up, nor do I need to add one more item to my morning ritual. If coffee naturally had no caffeine at all, I would still love it - possibly more than I do now. Having said that, I'm not the type of person that likes to throw my coffee into a cup and drink it on the go either. When I have a cup of coffee I like to set an hour aside, find a good atmosphere, and have some "me-time" while I enjoy my beverage. Naturally, a good coffee shop can quickly become my second home.

One of my goals this summer is to visit at least two coffee shops a week and review them. My first coffee shop during this project? Sidewinder in Northside, Cincinnati, Ohio. 

First, let me state that I love Northside. It's creative and eclectic, not to mention it is the home of two Cincinnati gems: Melt (Vegan/Vegetarian friendly café) and Skincraft (Tattoo and Piercing). I'd heard about Sidewinder many times before and have often passed by it on my way through Northside, but have never actually gone in. I decided to change that today in a fit of boredom.

Sidewinder turned out to be a typical coffee house.  The standard mix-matched tables and chairs, chalkboard menus, and local artist displays. It had that kind of a rustic feel that I like in a coffeehouse, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling it. As I walked in I was greeted by a melancholy employee who seemed to be put off by me - staring me down like I was clearly offending him by my presence. I gave him a pass on it though, as it was a beautiful (yet unbelievably humid) Sunday and he was at work.
Strike One.

One of the reasons I decided to go to Sidewinder was that I was seriously craving some French Press coffee. I have been told - by friends and their menu - that they have a French Press option available.

 I quote the menu online:
"French Press, $3.50. Rich, strong coffee, coarsely ground & brewed in it's own little 'french press'."

Denied on the French Press, my plan for delicious FP coffee is foiled. Strike Two.

After my disappointment with both the hospitality and initial coffee attempt, I decided to go with a cup of their daily fair-trade drip coffee. When I asked what kind of coffee they had? Didn't know, couldn't tell me a single thing about it. When I tasted the black coffee before adding a bit of sugar and half and half (as I always do), it was VERY acidic . Bad news bears. Brewing a good cup of drip (or anything for that matter) requires knowing a little bit about the coffee itself. Strike Three.

Something good did come out of this trip though: the food. I originally ordered a Chicken Salad Sandwich on Croissant but opted for a Tuna Salad Sandwich on Croissant when they didn't have any chicken left. No big deal. I was not disappointed in the slightest, as the Tuna Salad was heavenly - perfect ratio of ingredients with an added flair of dill to set it off with crisp cucumber on a toasted butter croissant. The sandwich was served with a side of fresh, crisp, green grapes. Delicious.

Generally whenever I'm trying a new coffee shop I like to order both drip and espresso, but I was so disappointed with the coffee and atmosphere I didn’t even want to stick around for the second drink. Next time I'm in Northside I'll stop in to give the espresso a 'shot' (pun intended) and post an update. Until then, this shop isn't one I would recommend if you want the overall coffee experience. I believe in second chances, so who knows, my opinion may change.

Until next time,

RoboRay

No comments:

Post a Comment